6/29/2008

Breastfeeding Do's and Don'ts

DON'T:

1. Let sleeping babies lie. If it's been 2 hours since your last feeding and the baby is still sleeping, gently rouse him by tickling his cheek or ear, removing his blanket, picking him up, or even using your nipple dabbed with expressed milk to tickle his nose.

2. Wait for the baby to start crying before nursing him. It is harder for a hysterical baby to latch on properly.

3. Give formula, water or glucose water, unless a sound medical reason warrants it. Supplementing with these may make your baby too full to be interested in nursing, which will mean less frequent nursing, resulting in diminished milk supply.

4. Give bottles or pacifiers until your baby is 4-6 weeks old, or until he learns how to breastfeed. Giving bottles or pacifiers can lead to nipple confusion for the baby. Rubber nipples and mom's nipples are totally different, and require different sucking motions. Let baby learn one thing at a time.

5. Switch breasts too early. Let baby finish one breast first before offering the other. If your baby doesn't finish the 2nd breast, offer that breast first at the next feeding. Switching breasts too early may make the baby fill up with foremilk (the thin, watery milk that quenches thirst at the start of a feeding), instead of hindmilk (the creamy, calorie-rich milk that satisfies hunger). I had made this very same mistake.


DO:

1. Nurse frequently -- Nurse every 2 hours or less (by demand), to build up your milk supply. Give unrestricted feedings. Breastfeeding follows the law of supply and demand. The more you nurse your baby, the more milk you produce.

2. Breastfeed as soon as baby shows signs of hunger. Early indications are waking up, mouthing his hands, and turning his head back and forth as if searching for the breast. Crying is a late indication of hunger.

3. Teach your baby the proper way to latch. Proper latch ensures that the baby is able to get all the milk. It also means less sore nipples for you.

4. Be patient. It takes time for you and your baby to hone your breastfeeding skills.

5. Be confident! Know that you are giving your baby the best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone could get advice on breastfeeding for working moms? It's been about 4 months and I have to get back to work and still want to breastfeed; I know I can pump at work but I'm not sure how this well play out. Thanks! patsy_rivera@yahoo.com

Jane said...

Hi Patsy, I'm not the best person to answer this, since I work at home. From what I've heard from working moms though, is that they usually pump 4 times in the office: in the morning, during lunch time, in the afternoon, and before going home. Some moms pump exclusively, while others exclusively breastfeed while at home.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

cheki said...

hello good day!..i've been breastfeeding my baby for 21 months already.i just want to ask if it is safe for me to get a hair rebonding even if i'm still feeding my baby..hope you can answer me..thanks

Anonymous said...

hi Im one of the breastfeeding mom.But Before I tried to mixed it with a formula but my baby choose to drink my milk than the formula.but i cant get the real sign if th my baby is already full.and I really want to know the Do's and does specially if I got sick or a diabetic mom?